Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Oh, How I Love Rejection

So I took all these snail mail queries to the post office to get postage put on the envelopes. I'm standing in line and looking at all the new stamp books. CRAP! Stamps are now 39 cents. All my SASEs are posted with 37 cent stamps, and they are all in the SEALED envelopes. Crap, crap, crap. Well, I had to buy 2 cent stamps, and then open all the envelopes and put the extra postage on. I guess I should be thankful that I caught the mistake. Geesh.

I got three more rejections today. So out of 12 email queries, I now have 1 "send more" and 5 "um, no"s. That leaves 6 more to hear from. I know rejection is a part of the game, and I remember reading on Janet Evanovich's Web site that she has boxes of rejections (and she's gotten hoardes of books published.) But geesh, it's hard not to take it personally.

Thank you for your query and for thinking of this agency. However, on this occasion we are going to pass.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Sincerely,
Agent P
Then there's my favorite so far.

Carmen, thanks for getting in touch, but I'm afraid the sample isn't striking magic with me... I'll stand aside.

Best,
Agent D

And lastly

Hi Carmen – This sounds fun and clever but the market for this type of fiction is very difficult right now, and I’m not really taking on many new clients in this specific area. But if you’re still looking for representation in the future, please feel free to query me again.

Best,
Agent S


Well, at least she says it sounds fun and clever. Leave it to me to write a book that is hard to sell at the moment.

Tags: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've surfed here from blogmad, love your stuff!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger L said...

Have you ever read Mulligan Stew by Gilbert Sorrentino? It's terribly funny (although a bit odd) and starts of with several pages of rejection letters, which are obviously fake but still rather funny. They say things like "your work is so fresh and modern and important, so we truly feel it needs to be brought to the attention of the public. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain enough sex and violence, so we'll have to take a pass on it. Better luck next time!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home