Thursday, April 06, 2006

Too Good to Last

No sooner did i get excited about my non-rejection letter than I got two more rejection letters. One by email and one by mail. Thhhhbt!

The email kick in the butt:

Dear Carmen,

Thanks very much for sending us your query for (my title) which I have now had the chance to read.

As interesting as your story is, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I'm the right agent for it. Having the right agent is an important match ­ as important as author and publisher ­ and it is also a very subjective decision. So I encourage you to try other agents and wish you every success in finding the best representative for your work.

Best regards,
Agent K

The mail kick in the butt:

Dear Writer:
Thank you for your interest in Agency R (web address). Please know that I appreciate and respect the time, effort and imagination you have put into your manuscript. I wish that time would permit me to respond to your work in a more personal manner, but the volume of submissions that I receive does not allow me to do so. I have read your query letter and brief synopsis and am sorry to write that I am declining further interest in this project. Please feel free to query me with future work.
Sincerly
Agent B
Sigh. This is not an endeavor for the weak hearted.

Tags: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Hang in there Carmen; my first attempt at a novel went through 800 pages and about 120 agent rejections before I shelved it and wrote the novel that landed me a publishing contract. (Your rejection letters brought back bad memories LOL) You're absolutely right: this isn't for the faint of heart! But keep at it; perseverance does pay off.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

Carmen:

"Please feel free to query me with future work."

Agents don't say that UNLESS THEY REALLY MEAN IT. They are bombarded with too much "yuck" to waste their time with things they know they won't like. This one little sentence means that there was something in your writing that this agent found value in -- he just didn't see a market for or have a passion for this particular manuscript.

KEEP THE NAME filed away! This is a tiny ray of sunshine in the midst of Rejection Gloom. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home